[ale] Terminal key stutter

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Wed Nov 28 23:09:53 EST 2012

Ale Crew,

I have a problem with key delay when I am logged in over VPN.

The delay causes me to not know where my cursor is, so when I type I am not
confident that I am inserting text into the correct spot on the screen.

Sometimes I wait quite a while for the cursor to catch up, then I press my
subsequent key, only to have the cursor instantly respond with a cached key
and the key I just pressed.

What are some things that I can look for to solve this problem?
1) environment variables?
2) bash settings?
3) particular terminal emulators that mitigate the problem?

--
Michael Potter