[ale] HomeVPN

Robert L. Harris robert.l.harris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 13:47:05 EST 2012

Here are my current configs with the suggestions above.  One thing i would
like to figure out is how to have my clients hit my resolvers for my home
domain but not for everything since my work network has it's own for
internal machines.

** Server
# Configure basic server settings, including the
# subnet, protocol, and activity tracking.
port    5678
dev     tun
proto   udp
mode    server
cipher aes-256-cbc
topology subnet

tls-server
tls-auth keys/ta.key 0
dh      keys/dh2048.pem
ca      keys/ca.crt
cert    keys/server.crt
key     keys/server.key

client-config-dir /etc/openvpn/ccd
ccd-exclusive
duplicate-cn
client-to-client
keepalive 44 180
float
tun-mtu 1500
push "tun-mtu 1500"
persist-tun
persist-key
comp-lzo

verb 1
mute 60
log-append      /var/log/openvpn/openvpn-aes.log
status          /var/log/openvpn/status-aes.log

# Configure the server
ifconfig 172.19.0.1 255.255.255.0

# Create a dhcp pool
ifconfig-pool 172.19.0.10 172.19.0.200

# Tell the server to route out the tun
#push "route-gateway dhcp"
#route 172.19.251.0 255.255.255.0

# Add routes to the client that point to subnets
# reachable through this server.
push "route 172.19.0.0 255.255.255.0"
push "route 172.20.0.0 255.255.0.0"

** Client
dev tun
tls-client
ns-cert-type server
proto udp
cipher aes-256-cbc
tls-auth keys/ta.key 1
ca      keys/cacert.pem
cert    keys/laptop.crt
key     keys/laptop.key

# Our OpenVPN peer is the office gateway.
remote vpn.domain.com 5678

user nobody
group nogroup

pull