[ale] What is an easy open vpn to set up

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Mar 27 12:16:44 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 11:37 -0400, Chuck Payne wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM, John Knight <john at classiccitytelco.com>wrote:
>
> >  Hi Chuck,
> >
> > What issue did you run into in the past?
> >
> >   *John Knight*
> > Classic City Telco LLC
> > *Email:* john at classiccitytelco.com *|* *Main:* (706) 995-0200
> > *Direct:* (706) 995-0201 *|* *Mobile:* (706) 255-9203
> >
> > On 3/27/2012 11:28 AM, Chuck Payne wrote:
> >
> > More and more I am needing access to server that are behind my
> > firewall, so I like to set up openvpn, but in the past had issue. What
> > is the easiest to set up?

> Routing. I could connect, but if I tried to ping or connect to anything I
> couldn't.
>
> --
> Terror PUP a.k.a
> Chuck "PUP" Payne
>
> (678) 636-9678

There are a variety of potential problems in there depending on how you
are setting up your VPN.  For instance, is the VPN terminating on the
firewall, passing through the firewall, or being portforwarded to
another server?  Are you attempting to do any NAT in there?  Is it a
private address space behind the firewall?  How did you have your
routing set up on the VPN server (i.e. what kind of routes did you have
OpenVPN pushing to your client)?  Could you connect to services on the
VPN server itself?

For pushing routes you might have something like this on your server .

push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"

This obviously assumes that you're using the 192.168.1.0 network behind
your firewall...

For that to work, however, the server must be in the default path back
from the machines behind the firewall back to the outside network or
you'll have to do some less than pretty (and less than reliable) routing
tricks on all the devices to route the VPN back or NAT the VPN on the
server so the devices behind the firewall only see the VPN servers
address.