[ale] Cory Doctorow, right again

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 12:18:36 EDT 2012

Heh!  I started this discussion.  What Mr. Doctorow said was that the
user should have control over the processes running on her computing
device.  My original point was that closed systems such as Apple IOS
and the vendor or service provider builds of Android will impede that
control.

Curated software repositories such as Apple's App Store or the Android
Market are fine, as long as users can opt out of them if (when) they
no longer trust the curators.  On an open build of Android, this is
simple -- you can remove any application you want, up to and including
anything in "the Google Apps" (the applications Google distributes to
talk to their servers). If you want to install an application not in
the Market, you just check a config box saying that you understand
what you're doing.

On -- for example -- the Verizon build of Android which came on my
phone, it's not so clear-cut.  Verizon's Android build won't let me
un-install the several applications (e.g. "NFL Mobile", "Verizon
Video", "Verizon Messages", et cetera)  which Verizon thinks I should
have.  That's a gaping security hole, plus being bad, wrong and
outrageous.  I have no interest in trusting the NFL with any software
on my phone, nor do I need Verizon to read all of my email as it
passes through their aggregators.  Show me where I can remove
arbitrary applications from an IOS device ?  Perhaps it's possible, I
don't know.   I DO know that without that capacity, IOS devices are
only as secure as Apple is.  From the URL I provided, that might not
be quite secure enough.

Please to note this issue is only tangentially related to the "I can
read the code" security argument over open source software.  This is
more basic.  Regardless of your feeliings about open versus closed
software and the security or other trade-offs involved in that, you
must Must MUST have control over what's installed on your device.  (
And yes, the Radio and other binary blobs in Cyanogen-Mod bother me. )

-- CHS