[ale] Server rebooting

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Mar 14 15:45:54 EDT 2012

I have an interesting problem.

Today I had a server reboot constantly.  Luckily I have headless remote
access and remote power control.  Server is 30 miles away and I'm
working on it.

It would reboot after 'Starting udev'.  After telling it to run sh as
init I've determined that whenever I load the e1000 nic driver for the
two interfaces it reboots.  I've blacklisted them, but have no network.
I thought this was good, but it rebooted.  I've set acpi=off and it
seems stable now.

At this point I have tared, compressed and bas64 converted stuff I want
here so that I can setup a virtual machine.  I have converted console to
115200 and I will cat the base64 to the tty and capture to disk here.
I'll convert that back to binary.

Even with acpi off I can not load the e1000 drivers.  One option is to
drive down there and install a USB adapter until a new system can be
purchased.  I'm trying to avoid a trip.

Server fine for years now behaving crazy.  Any ideas?

Chris