[ale] IPv4 devices on IPv6 network

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Sat Jun 30 14:01:24 EDT 2012

On 06/30/2012 01:45 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> I suppose I'm taking the worst case situation and just planning (way)
> ahead but I don't want surprises.  With IPv4 NAT, I read ahead, learned
> how it was supposed to work, studied the magical incantations of
> iptables and had enough of an understanding that it didn't take long to
> fix an issue once I started using it.  Right now, these IPv4-IPv6
> translators are mythical beasts mentioned only once, very briefly with
> no real detail and never again discussed.

The point is that you don't need to do that yet.  We will be running
dual-stack on the Internet for many years yet.  You *will* be running
both IPv4 and IPv6 networks on the same physical network segments for
years to come.  You don't have to put all systems on your IPv6 network,
and you don't have to put all systems on your IPv4 network.  But you'll
need at least some systems on both that can behave as tunneling or proxy
servers.

It's not much different from what you'd do if you needed to make an IPX
service available on an IP network; you'd have some machine in the
middle act as a proxy between the client and the server.

And if you have any doubt that IPv4 will still be on networks in twenty
years, take a look at IPX.  There are _still_ networks out there (though
they are rare these days, fortunately) that run IPX.  I don't believe
any of them do so in a standalone configuration anymore, but I could
very easily be wrong there.

Just learn how to run an IPv6 network, and believe me, over time, the
need to remember, worry about, or maintain IPv4 will decrease.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”