[ale] IPv4 devices on IPv6 network

Michael Campbell michael.campbell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 12:44:00 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Got a "plan ahead" question for you.  I've got a handful of
> firmware-based devices that are IPv4-only never to be made IPv6 capable
> (PLCs, some print servers, data loggers, etc.)

This may not affect you, and just an FYI, but...you mention AT&T later, so
be aware that at least with U-Verse, they have said that LANs (on uVerse)
can no longer use the 10.0.0.0/8 addresses.  There is rumor that this is
due to AT&T moving to a corporate wide NAT where their whole network is
going to be behind a NAT, and that your AT&T modem/router is going to be
given a 10.*.*.* address in that space.   This is supposed to happen 6-Jul.

The other rumor is that you can have an externally visible IP4 IP for an
additional $15/mo.  I don't know how this works with existing static IP
users, and personally I've subscribed to a third party VPN provider through
which I can forward ports back to my machine so I can have an externally
visible machine, since I do run services that I need to get to from outside
AT&T's network.

So, now we wait.  I'm not a network guy, so I assume there's a way to
segregate your LAN from theirs even if they do this, but people here
smarter than I can debate the feasibility and wisdom of doing so =)