[ale] IPv4 devices on IPv6 network

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Sat Jun 30 01:20:21 EDT 2012

On 06/30/2012 01:10 AM, Alex Carver wrote:
> Everything I've searched for with whatever Google-fu I could use
> indicates I'll need to perform translation using NAT64 or equivalent but
> there's nothing out there that says how this should be done specifically
> (i.e. what magical incantations of iptables are needed if indeed
> iptables is the eventual handler of this).  The various docs just say
> "You need it".  Well no kidding.

You can have your 10.0.0.0/8 as well as your IPv6 space.  That simply
means that you'll need a DHCP server that hands addresses in that space out.

You will also likely be able to keep at least a single IPv4 address from
your ISP for quite some time, so you can still do normal IPv4 NAT for
your RFC 1918 segment(s).

You'll only need some form of proxy or protocol translator if you
absolutely need to have the device(s) have IPv6 addresses and be able to
communicate on the IPv6 network.  That would be a pain in the rear end,
but it would work just fine for many types of protocols (e.g., not ones
like SIP or FTP).

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”