[ale] IPv4 devices on IPv6 network

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Jun 30 01:10:02 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,

Got a "plan ahead" question for you.  I've got a handful of
firmware-based devices that are IPv4-only never to be made IPv6 capable
(PLCs, some print servers, data loggers, etc.)

All of these devices currently live on a private 10.0.0.0/8 behind a
router.  Some of them I have mapped over to public IPs or at least
certain ports mapped to public IPs.  When the time comes, the upstream
network/ISP will likely provide native IPv6 only and then issue me a
block of addresses with some prefix.  Internally anything capable of
running IPv6 will likely be doing so (desktop machines, etc.) but I'll
still need IPv4 support and the ability to send data outside from the
devices.

Everything I've searched for with whatever Google-fu I could use
indicates I'll need to perform translation using NAT64 or equivalent but
there's nothing out there that says how this should be done specifically
(i.e. what magical incantations of iptables are needed if indeed
iptables is the eventual handler of this).  The various docs just say
"You need it".  Well no kidding.

Can anyone guide me to some better documentation on creating such a
NAT64 translator or whatever it is that I'll need to accomplish this task?

Given that an IPv6 assigned block from the ISP might be something like a
/64 or smaller (perhaps /96), I was anticipating the translator
performing a static 1-to-1 mapping of IPv6 to IPv4 addresses.

Thanks!