[ale] OT I had to relate this Comcast conversation with y'all

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Jun 26 15:11:26 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 14:23 -0400, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> On 06/26/2012 01:37 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:

> >> Price is a bit more but the quality of service is more what I was
> >> accustomed to with SpeakEasy. The ability to run servers and no
> >> bandwidth caps was vital for me. I put up with much slower service a
> >> long time until I was sure I could get servers on Comcast with them
> >> trying to run them with port blocking and caps. With BusClass, you get a
> >> pipe and a promise to keep that pipe open and running.
> >>

> > I'm thinking of bailing on Atlanta Nexus.  I've rationalised since 2008
> > that I was doing better than AT&T.  I can no longer do that.
> >
> > 1.  I'm surrounded by people getting faster speeds.  I see idiots
> > getting 12+ down and higher.
> >
> > 2.  Internet goes down Friday and I call AN.  I get "AT&T says you are
> > in an outage area and it will be up by 1pm on Saturday".
> >
> > 3.  No night or weekend support.
> >
> > Other then the fact they do not block ports and are not afraid of Linux
> > what does this almost $30 extra a month I pay getting me?

> I'm with u-verse and they do not block ports.  Although I requested it,
> so I may have gotten lucky.  The u-verse techs that I've had to deal
> with seemed to be on top of their stuff.

I'm with U-Verse as well.  There are times I run into the clueless and I
do believe AT&T is thoroughly incompetent when it comes to the state of
the art (hello!  Windows ME on the bloody STBs????) but at least they
seem to attempt to be honest.  STUPID sometimes but honestly stupid.

Comcast, OTOH, has been wantonly dishonest with me in my personal
experience.  Time after time after time I had them lie to me to my face
and act dumbfounding when I caught them up in their lies.  They tell me
they called or they did this or that or another thing and they don't
expect a home owner to have a system that provides them with a CALL LOG
that proves they're being dishonest or have other ways to verify and
prove their dishonesty.  They seem to expect us to "trust them"
unconditionally and they don't understand it when and why we don't.
It's the rule with them, not the exception.

Incompetence, I can accept.  Blatant dishonest is beyond acceptance.