[ale] Running a hands off remote Linux installation

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Jul 31 14:57:07 EDT 2012

On 07/31/2012 11:42 AM, John Pilman wrote:
> I set up a pc at my mom's house with some security cameras attached,
> and I had trouble with the power going off occasionally.  In the BIOS
> there was a setting to tell the computer to boot whenever the external
> power came on, but it was poorly named; something like 'Power Off
> Options.'   There were three options, boot, don't boot, and boot if it
> was running when external power went off.  It works, mostly, but it
> does not have an orderly shutdown when the power goes off.  I think
> that would improve things.
> ...John
Yes it has that option, however I've found that some power outages,
namely ones that bounce the power a few times and/or brown out cause the
computer to hang at boot, hence the need for a UPS.  Also I really don't
like for a system to power off if I can help it.

Since I have a bunch of Arduino type boards and a pretty big solid state
relay laying around, I'm tempted to build something that monitors the
mains and waits for a sustained period of power up time and then power
cycles the UPS.  I might toss a NiMh backup into the mix so it keeps
running when the power is off for a while anyway.  I think I can put the
cpu into a micro power sleep mode but I think the regulator will kill
the NiMh eventually.  Maybe I can use a LDO regulator with low power
sleep mode also.

Something to think about.  Who knows, it might make a good magazine
article and I'll get rich!

Jim.