[ale] Running a hands off remote Linux installation

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Jul 31 09:07:43 EDT 2012

I want to set up a hands off system at a remote location.  I'll put a
large UPS to keep it running through short power outages but I'm
concerned about longer outages.  While I obviously want it to be
available most of the time, if the power goes out for hours, it won't be
available and I can live with that.  I can sense the failure and do an
orderly shutdown before the UPS batteries go completely flat.

However I'm stumped on how to get the system to turn itself back on
after the power comes back.  I know I can set the bios to boot on power
up automatically but that would require the computer to power off
externally I would guess and that's not an orderly shutdown besides with
the UPS in line, I don't really have a way to sense when the mains
actually come back.

I've thought about putting a small controller, like a Arduino, somewhere
with a relay to momentarily key the switch leads in the computer when I
sense all is back to normal, but I'm thinking there might be a better way.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim.