[ale] [OT] Lifespan of Storage Devices

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun Jul 29 14:54:09 EDT 2012

On 7/29/2012 06:29, Raj Wurttemberg wrote:
> You all will probably laugh at this. but. I am vintage computer collector
> for Commodore and Apple ][ equipment. Many if not most of my old 5.25" disks
> still work perfectly after almost 25 years. For the most part, the more
> expensive floppies appear to be the best. I can see some discoloration or
> "blotches" on my cheap floppies.

Flexible magnetic media has the longest shelf life (assuming quality
material and proper storage environment like temperature and humidity)
primarily because the magnetic domains are larger and less susceptible
to reordering than any other media.  Tapes are the longest lived if
spooled and stored correctly.  There are plenty of examples of tape
media surviving for 40+ years if they were archived in environmentally
controlled vaults.  There are amazingly many cases of poorly stored
tapes still surviving to some extent (i.e. stored in a basement under
the stairs in a cardboard box).

The main killer of tape media is print-through.  If the tape media is
not sufficiently thick (or spooled without using a spacer layer), then
magnetic domains on one layer of tape can imprint onto the adjacent
layer when the tape is spooled tightly.  This takes a long time but it
does happen eventually and will cause data corruption.  A spacer between
the layers reduces the coupling between magnetic domains by increasing
the distance.

Hard drive platters fall in second place.  They decay faster than tape
because the domains are smaller and more susceptible to reordering by
adjacent domains.  Newer technology in read/write heads (GMR) and DSPs
for the electronics may fix that problem and put platters on par with tape.

Which reminds me, I need to fix my tape drive. :)