[ale] [OT] Lifespan of Storage Devices

Raj Wurttemberg rajaw at c64.us
Sun Jul 29 09:29:55 EDT 2012

You all will probably laugh at this. but. I am vintage computer collector
for Commodore and Apple ][ equipment. Many if not most of my old 5.25" disks
still work perfectly after almost 25 years. For the most part, the more
expensive floppies appear to be the best. I can see some discoloration or
"blotches" on my cheap floppies.

That said. I would go with the "archival quality" DVDs. I *think* they are
made of gold or some other metal. Not cheap. but worth it.

http://jvc-media.com/archives/technology.html

http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-me
dia

Hope this helps.