[ale] semi OT - misc security issues to think about - 07/12/12

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jul 13 11:45:41 EDT 2012

If the passwords are vulnerable even after upgrading to a version that
knows how to has the passwords, then the project doesn't take security very
seriously, IMNSHO, and should not be allowed to be used. It is trivial to
upgrade from plaintext to hashed and salted.

In any other situation (meaning, involving a password database that is
already hashed, the proper solutions is to migrate users at their next
login, because that's the only way to upgrade from one has type to another.
It is the only time that the plaintext of the password should be available
in a password-based system.