[ale] OT power failure problems - answering machine, dehumidifier

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jul 12 16:27:44 EDT 2012

Hi all,

With all the storms in the area, I've had three power failures within
the last week.  Not long ago, I got advice here which prompted me to get
a APC Smart UPS for the PC.  That's working well.  Unfortunately, I have
some other things which give problems when the power fails.

By the way, if you need a cheap power failure sensor, just get one of
those old red LED clocks.  Don't put any backup battery in and make sure
it has no power failure protection.  If there is a glitch more than a
few seconds, it will be blinking in your face when you see it again.

I have two answering machines that lose their greeting when the power
fails.  They do have a spot for a 9V battery but they eat a battery
every few months.  It's not physically convenient to attach these to my
UPS.  I went on a search for new machines locally.  They're almost
impossible to find without phones attached and higher price tags.  I got
the AT&T 1740 and it works well.  It will survive a power failure
without a hitch.  The manual says it saves the greeting and the
messages.  It also says you may have to reset the clock.  However, I
unplugged it for 30 seconds and the clock kept working.  If the clock
does die, it will automatically reset on the first call if you have
caller ID.  This device does not require a 9V battery.  If you were to
buy one, don't get the 1739, it's older younger brother.  Get the new one.

The main reason I'm writing this message is to ask about a
dehumidifier.  I have a unit from Kenmore which has a digital control
panel.  So, you push some fancy flat panel buttons to set the thing.
However, when the power fails, the unit shuts off and won't restart
until you manually go turn it on and reset everything.  When my LED
clock starts blinking upstairs, I know there has been a power failure
and I have to go to the basement and check the unit.  Other than buying
a different appliance, anyone know anything I could do?  Since it draws
700 W, it would probably cost more than the dehumidifier does to put it
on a UPS.

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)