[ale] It sorta

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 09:27:18 EDT 2012

On We, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Leam,
> This does not muddy the water at all! Suggestions with rationalization of
> reasons why the options might be useful actually clear the water, I'm
> afraid.  I can set up a fun park - maybe 2 or 3 frameworks that do
> different things, as long as I don't have to install a different OS to run
> it all (Debian Squeeze currently).
>
> Wolf

Wolf, if you're running Debian then you're familiar with the "alternatives"
stuff? I personally hate it but that's because I work on Red Hat production
servers that should not have alternatives. However, I'm all for a "Wild
West" sort of place for my developers to really do whatever they want. As I
understand it the alternatives thing lets you have multiple versions of
core software on the box at the same time. As you might guess, my skills
with it amount to removal. However, in your situation it might prove an
advantage.

So then the question becomes Squid or virtual hosting in Apache. Can you
set redirects up to 'perl.example.com', 'cherrypy.example.com', and '
cakephp.example.com' on the same box and let the developers vote by their
effort. That would even possibly let you use the same datastore backend.

Leam

p.s. There's a fine line between 'creative genius' and 'deviant bugger'.
Not sure where the line is and how often I've crossed it.  :)

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>