[ale] It sorta

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 07:25:02 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton at gmail.com> wrote:

>> without having to give lots of systems-level permission to anybody.  A
>> workshed for code.  Currently our main web apps are coded in perl and
>> javascript over postgresql.  So something along the lines of w3schools with
>> a perl element.

Well, while I have an opinion or two, you might be better off seeing my
thought process behind what I do. That way you can pick the parts that may
work for you and discard the rest.

In the interviews these past weeks I've seen a lot of movement
towards Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment. That's gotten me to
thinking about automated checkout from version control and reduced human
interactions. I don't have a great plan for it yet, but if I were thinking
 about frameworks I'd look at CherryPy for Python or Zend Framework for
PHP. The former is lighter weight than some Python frameworks, the latter
is the standard fully supported framework. My own tendency is to use PHP
when computers are talking to people. If I were looking at something for
training then perhaps Moodle. CakePHP is another PHP framework that gets
good marks from people.

Since I've not worked with Perl web stuff for a long time, and if you want
to stay Perl, I'd really look towards the automated deployment scheme. The
issue would be to ensure the web service owner does not have more
permissions than required, or if you're really paranoid (and what good
sysadmin isn't?)  you can include an over writing of critical files and
permissions after any automated deployment.

Hope that doesn't muddy the thought waters too much.

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>