[ale] more fun with ssh

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Mon Aug 13 08:37:01 EDT 2012

If adding it to /etc/hosts resolved the issue it makes it sound as if your issue is name resolution.

Is the slowpoke Linux?
What is in /etc/nsswitch.conf on the slowpoke for the “hosts” line?  (You may need to look at other lines for IPv6 if not Linux.)
If hosts line has “files” before “dns” what is in /etc/resolv.conf?   Does it try nis?
What happens if you try “host <nagios master>” from the slowpoke?  What if you try “dig <nagios master>”.