[ale] Running a hands off remote Linux installation

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Aug 2 08:04:11 EDT 2012

On 08/02/2012 06:58 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> And there's the problem. Really! You should have AT LEAST 3 additional
> spare systems lying around. OK. so 2 of them are dumpster hauls and
> one is so old even the SWMBO thinks should be in a dumpster but you
> just can't give it up because of a particular thing that box  had.
> Like chipset XYZ that you got going by hand with a custom kernel. And
> between the 3 clunkers there's no compatible parts.
>
> Seriously, Jim. With a name like that, I'd expect better geek out of you.
>
> :-)
Of course!

If I put more than one system in, I'll be sleeping in the street. This
is going into our "beach" condo and my purpose is to use it as an
offsite backup solution.  7x24 availability isn't as important as having
it not go down and stay that way.  A  10+ hour round trip to reboot
isn't in the cards. :(  Absolutely fool proof isn't a requirement, I
just want to be sure I've got the best solution without mortgaging the
farm.

So a "spare" system probably isn't going to be anything more complicated
than a Rpi or Arduino with and Ethernet shield.

So I'm just going to have to hook the system up and kick it over while
connected to a UPS and see what happens, so to speak.

Thanks for all the tips,  I've learned a bit from this exercise.

Jim.