[ale] Running a hands off remote Linux installation

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 06:58:22 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> On 07/31/2012 09:32 PM, Ed Cashin wrote:
>> There are so many great responses in this thread, but for power
>> failure scenarios, you're probably most interested in avoiding
>> filesystem corruption or the need to fsck, so I am still wondering why
>> you couldn't boot the spare system into a ramfs and run a script.
> I'm missing something.  What spare system?  There's only one.

And there's the problem. Really! You should have AT LEAST 3 additional
spare systems lying around. OK. so 2 of them are dumpster hauls and
one is so old even the SWMBO thinks should be in a dumpster but you
just can't give it up because of a particular thing that box  had.
Like chipset XYZ that you got going by hand with a custom kernel. And
between the 3 clunkers there's no compatible parts.

Seriously, Jim. With a name like that, I'd expect better geek out of you.

:-)

You must have missed my last "Great Geek Giveaway".

Which I regret now that I've bought stuff again that I gave away.

Bring it ALL back! Please! Just don't tell my wife or I'm sleeping on
the street.