[ale] who is eating my drive

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 31 14:49:53 EDT 2011

plus with swap on the same LVM with /, you can encrypt the entire LVM and a
laptop sleep is protected by the drive encryption. Additionally, changing
RAM sizes with swap on an LVM means you can adjust the swap amount as
needed.

swap notes: NEVER put swap on a raid5. If you must park swap on a RAID rig,
mirrored partitions are OK. If swap gets hosed, the box crashes. The RAID5/6
writes for swap are performance killers. Swap will do it own striping so
don't bother doing a raid10. multiple swap parts on multiple drive spindles
is a good thing. Say 8G RAM and 4 1TB drives, set up a 4G swap on each of
the drives.

I haven't dug in the kernel code itself, but supposedly, swap over 2G total
size is not relevant. By the time it's being used the box is crawling
anyway.

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*