[ale] video running too fast

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Sun May 29 17:54:49 EDT 2011

On 2011/05/28, at 23:21 , Evan Lasky wrote:

> Aaron, I am using Totem movie player 3.30.2.
> I use the same software regardless of video or DVD.
> The box has been running fine for about a year.
> I have to work tomorrow, but I will make it a point to
> try running a live cd and see what happens. Thanks, Evan

Given that the system has been running OK previously,
you should probably try Jim Kinney's suggestion of removing
pulseaudio first.   It makes as much sense as my clock guess,
since all digital media formats require playback software to
arbitrate the relative playback speeds of the audio and video
subsystems in order to attempt to maintain A/V sync.  If the
audio subsystem is not providing reliable status or clock data
feedback then the video playback could run rampant.

Unlike every analog recording and delivery format I ever
worked with, there is not a mechanism in ANY of the digital
formats for insuring that audio and video are properly
delivered in sync with one another.  Audio and video can
fall out of sync at any time during any playback pass, even
on the best of high end production systems.  It's nothing
short of insane, but not surprising given that all the common
digital codecs and wrappers have come out the greed driven
proprietary corporate model for anti-standardization

peace
aaron