[ale] video running too fast

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun May 29 10:40:57 EDT 2011

Hi Evan,

Found a link to the fedoraforum site that suggests pulsaudio is a conflict.
The issue was on a Fedora13 machine, but of you upgraded from Fedora13 to
Fedora14, pulseaudio may still be lying around.

open a terminal, su to root (type "su", enter key,  then enter root
password) then enter "yum remove pulseaudio" with no quotes.

Original link here.:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=253186

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Evan Lasky <evan.lasky at gmail.com> wrote:

> Aaron, I am using Totem movie player 3.30.2. I use the same software
> regardless of video or DVD. The box has been running fine for about a year.
> I have to work tomorrow, but I will make it a point to try running a live cd
> and see what happens. Thanks, Evan
>

> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM, arxaaron <arxaaron at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2011/05/28, at 21:59 , Evan Lasky wrote:
>> > I am running a Fedora 14 box with a phenon 2 processor,
>> > 4 GB of ram and on board video. Any video I try to watch
>> > plays at 90mph with no sound and looks like it stops to
>> > buffer occasionally. It doesn't matter if I am watching a
>> > DVD or a youtube video. Any ideas? Thanks, Evan
>>
>> My first guess is that the hardware system is not generating
>> a reference clock signal expected by the media software.
>>
>> What is your media player?
>>
>> Same software for video and DVD playback?
>>
>> Is this something that just came up on a previously working
>> box or is this the first time you've been trying to play video
>> on this install?
>>
>> A quick test to narrow down to a software or hardware
>> issue would be to boot to a Live CD of a different distro
>> and try to play video with it.  See if a different distro /
>> media player software exhibits the same problem.
>>
>> HTH!
>> peace
>> aaron
>>

>> > P.S. I have very little Linux experience.
>>
>> But I have a lot of computer media experience, so it
>> should all work out!  :-)

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*