[ale] Ubuntu 11.04 Under VirtualBox

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu May 5 17:06:33 EDT 2011

On my system, the Unity dock moves out of the way automatically until
needed or requested.  The menus at the top take some getting used to and
on one of the installs, holding the ALT key didn't activate it for every
program, always. It did work for most however.

I have tons of screen room - even my laptop is 1920x1080.

Being slow can be due to all sorts of choices that you made during the
install.  Did you pre-allocate the virtual HDD?  That's the usual
mistake.  OTOH, if your physical PC hardware sucks, there isn't much you
can do to make it faster.

The screen use isn't any different to me than plain Lubuntu.

I'm not trying to sell anyone, but 2 hours of time isn't really a trial.
Put up with it for a week, if it is stable enough, like I did, then
decide to keep or dump it.  Certainly, getting converted to the
MS-Office 2007 ribbon bar took more than 2 hours of effort (for those
who made that migration).