[ale] Greetings Carbon Units!

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Thu May 5 11:01:09 EDT 2011

On 05/05/2011 06:10 AM, Richard Faulkner wrote:
> Feedback!  Yes, please on 11.04 and F15.  Many changes for which I'm
> very curious (and will test install myself as soon as I can) but
> curious to hear reports and thoughts of ya'll.    RinL

I had tested the Live Alpha F15 version for the ATI video test. I have
the HD 5770 video card so Gnome3 shell did work fine. It is very
different in that the desktop icons that we may have all been familiar
with are no longer there. The menu system changed in that instead of a
drop down menu it displays all apps in that category as icons spread out
through your desktop. It takes a little getting used to but it is pretty
simple to figure out the workings of it once you play with it. I have
recently installed the Beta version as a VM using Fedora's/Red Hat KVM
which does not provide video capable of dealing with the Gnome3 Shell so
it uses the Fall Back Gnome3 Desktop which seems to be a cross between
the more familiar Gnome Desktop in an updated form and the Gnome3 Shell.

I'm not sure if I like either one yet, but I think I could very well
adapt to it and you youngsters out there will probably take to it
quickly and may even like it right away. That is just my initial
impression of the 2 versions and have not gone to in depth  of my
experimentation yet. I do plan on setting up a dual boot setup with F14
and F15 Beta, temporarily to see how it interacts with my media and data
from the F14 system. So far though it has not crash & burned like some
early versions of other OSs, and there are definitely some neat
enhancements on F15 that I need to explore some more.

As far as Ubuntu goes, I stopped being an Ubuntu fan sometime back, but
with all of the recent scuttlebutt about the new UI I may try it on a VM
just to get somewhat an idea what it's all about.