[ale] OT - open source access control (physical) software?

Tue May 3 00:25:58 EDT 2011

You gave NO INFORMATION in your email. Please add some brand names, model
numbers, name of the software, photos of the devices to this thread.
Otherwise, all you are asking is "can FOSS control a door lock?" The answer
is "yes". End of story.

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Sid Lane <jakes.dad at gmail.com> wrote:

> all,
>
> the computer which controls the access control system for our neighborhood
> (pool, clubhouse, restrooms, etc) is dying and I have been tasked
> w/replacing it.  I don't have any documentation but a physical inspection of
> the system showed that the actual physical locks are controlled by a
> proprietary box (about size/form of a home alarm) which has a serial
> connection to an old PC running XP & the management client.  the management
> client is a program that runs in a user session (not a service) but appears
> to be from a different company than the actual control unit which makes me
> wonder if there's open source management software for these systems (I'm
> assuming the serial traffic is unencrypted).  the actual control unit must
> cache its last know information because it continues to work when the PC
> dies (which it's doing frequently now).
>
> anyone know anything about these kinds of systems & particularly if there's
> any gpl(-ish) alternatives?  ideally I'd like a small-form (mac mini-ish) pc
> running a small linux distro off a flash drive (no spindle).  I don't care
> if the UI isn't pretty (hell, it could be mysql or even vi-ing xml files for
> all I care - we have <300 homes).

.!# RichardBronosky #!.