[ale] GIT Gui Linux & Windows

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 16:26:08 EDT 2011

One of the reasons I opted to switch to Mercurial from Subversion
instead to Git is a lack of Windows and OS X support (by Git). So I
don't think you are going to find much in the way of Git GUIs for
Windows. However, it looks like there is a Tortoise project that is
active[1]. I'm sure you can find a greater selection of GUIs for
Linux. [2] lists a couple.

I use TortoiseHg on my Windows machines. I find it works quite well,
but there are still times where I drop down to the CLI. If you use a
graphical IDE, you might also find it includes support for Git. I use
NetBeans for the Java work I have to do and it has decent support for
Mercurial (since I don't use Git I can't speak to its support for that
VCS).

[1] -- http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/
[2] -- http://git-scm.com/tools

--