[ale] just installed LibreOffice in Linux, should have been easier

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Mar 13 09:35:58 EDT 2011

After years of learning some-other-way to deal with software installs,
it is hard for everyone to understand how easy it really is doing it
with a package manager.  We've all been there - done it the hard way.
These days, if something seems hard, I'll ask for help **first**. As in ...

   "I'm thinking of doing X, does anyone have tips or suggestions
concerning any issues that I may encounter?"

IMHO, being afraid of the shell makes things much harder than
necessary.  Pointing and clicking can't be put into a shell script,
reused next year, across 2,000 systems or accurately shared in an email.
It also requires a video to show someone new to a platform how to
complete a task. Yuck.  Pointing and clicking just seems easier, it
isn't really.

I'll say it again ...*put down the mouse, place your forefingers on 'f'
and 'j', begin computing. *Don't fear the shell.

Here's a challenge to all those who are still pointing and clicking.
For every administrative task this week, try to do it from the shell
instead. Ask for help if you need it, but please read the man page
**first** - some of the man pages do really suck. Learning how to read a
man page takes time and practice, then it becomes very clear.  `apropos`
is your friend too.