[ale] Ubuntu 10.10 - SWAP going crazy!

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Mon Mar 7 11:44:33 EST 2011

So it's not just me. As of late my Kubuntu 10.10 has been going nuts and
been killing firefox processes right and left. I was starting to wonder if
I was having a hardware problem.

BAJ

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 11:05:28AM -0500, Sergio Chaves wrote:
> Hi alers:
>
> Just upgraded to Ubuntu a few days back and ran all the updates.
> After the last update, two very strange things have happened:
> 01 - The processes for virtuoso and Xorg are VERY resource hungry, with both
> somewhere between 18% and 26% each!
> 02 - Both processes seem to "not die" even after a shutdown/reboot, like they
> picked up where they were left off prior to the shutdown/reboot - top shows
> time = 3 to 4 days uptime for this processes - +-100 hrs!!!
>
> Logs do not show anything that "pops out" (for me at least).
>
> Clues?

Byron A. Jeff
Department Chair: IT/CS/CNET
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://cims.clayton.edu/bjeff