[ale] [OT] for the space geeks on ALE

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Jun 8 16:04:06 EDT 2011

I'm so over the FUD about the evils of the health care law.  Death
panels?  We already have them - boards of people decide who is "worthy"
of receiving transplants based on people's lifestyles rather than their
need for the organs.   Rationed health care?  We already have it - HMOs
penalize doctors that don't go by their generic "best practice" for
determining what treatment you need and how long you need to stay in the
hospital.   Luckily though these institutions are protected against
being sued into oblivion for putting profits ahead of patient care by
the laws that existed.

In the mean time the scare tactics are used and ignore the evils the
health care law got rid of such as pre-existing condition clauses and
the practice of waiting until you made a major claim of going back and
determining you aren't eligible for the insurance due to BS history
research after taking your money for years.

The fact that what Obama had to spend for the last few years was to dig
us out of the huge financial meltdown that began while Bush was still in
office seems to escape people that like to pretend Obama is the
anit-christ.   They also ignore the fact that the majority of the
spending continues to be for defense (including the two wars started
under Bush) and NOT for social programs as Republicans and Libertarians
like to pretend.

While I'm on the latter subject:  Social Security is not an
"entitlement" as Republican pundits try to lump it in with welfare, food
stamps and the like.  It is something we all pay into with the
understanding that we get the money back later.  I for one don't care if
Warren Buffet gets a SS check so long as he paid into during his working
year.   That was the deal that was made.   In my view SS is the only
thing we ARE "entitled" to and lumping it in with government handout
programs is an outright lie.