[ale] gnome3. I give up.

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Jun 8 13:57:46 EDT 2011

Having worked once upon a time at software support help desk for over
2000 sites I can tell you that many many many users DO need to be told
when the device is unplugged because it never seems to occur to them to
check that themselves.

Once upon a time I was bitching at Comcast support for asking me to
check the cable connection at the wall.  I noted that once I attached it
a few years earlier I'd had no need to detach it and thought they should
check the "obvious" trouble on their end.   However, just to shut them
up I did check it at the wall and to my chagrin when I touched the cable
it fell off.   Apparently, over the years, vibration in the apartment
complex on that outside wall had actually caused it to unscrew itself.
Sometimes even if you are a highly skilled technical person it IS
required to check the basics before calling support.  (Way to go Comcast
- 1 out of 312 times isn't bad!)