[ale] OT: AT&T data charge

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:22:31 EDT 2011

It was precisely that exorbitant REQUIRED data pack ($30/mo @ Verizon) for a
smart phone that drove me to leave them after being a loyal customer with a
peak of 7 lines (5 on family plan and 2 more) for something like 10 yrs.
Well, that and the $350/per line cancellation fee (seems to me they are
worried about future technology, e.g. SIP via wifi instead of relying so
much on the wireless carrier's service).

I looked at Metro PCS but finally decided on Virgin mobile. As of last
Sunday, I am running a LG Optimus V on the $25/mo Beyond Talk plan which
includes 300 minutes (no free time) and unlimited WEB and Text. $40 gets you
1200 minutes or the PayLo plan gives 1500 minutes with limited data for
$30.00. If I find I talk too much on Beyond Talk, I'l switch to PayLo. I
don't have enough experience to rate the quality or availability of coverage
yet, but I am enjoying the Android phone. Only complaint so far is the
battery life is pretty short on the phone, requiring daily charges. I don't
ever intend to go back to a post-paid contract plan. In fact, I intend to
set up an Asterisk install (PBXIF from NerdVittles.com) and use a SIP client
on the phone to make free calls through the PFXIF.

My $.02 worth.
GC