[ale] gnome3. I give up.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 11:30:42 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 10:33 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I[f] I wanted to be told what I could do with my desktop, I'd use a Mac.
>
> This statement has nothing to do with the review and isn't even true.

The statement was in reference to the overall operation of desktop
environment. As you stated that you  no longer use gnome, you haven't seen
what I've been looking at and working with. If you had, you would have very
clearly understood the reference to the Mac interface and forced usage of
the interface.

Don't want the skinny, anemic XFCE. It reminds me too much of the ancient
CDE (that I actually paid for a decade plus ago to run on my redhat 4
system). I have no problem allocating some horsepower to my desktoip
environment. But I expect that horsepower to provide some benefit to my use
of the desktop. This time, gnome 3 did not provide that benefit and thus
earns a FAIL rating.

I've also used LXDE and find it to be even thinner than XFCE. For those
situations where I want little more than multiple xterms with mouse buffers,
LXDE is what I use.

> Back on topic, if you want to stick with the GTK+ libraries then I
> recommend XFCE. I don't even bother with Gnome or KDE nowadays. I just
> go straight to XFCE. It's lighter, faster, and does everything that
> needs to be done to provide a desktop environment.
>
> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*