[ale] Domain Registrar

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Jan 24 09:38:51 EST 2011

We do acquisitions from time to time and have transferred domains from
various places.  I recall some time back we had issues with GoDaddy
playing games preventing us from doing timely transfers (basically if
you didn't do it exactly right [their idea of "right"] then they would
lock it for 90 days for no good reason I could see).

We recently did a couple 1and1 transfer and it was fairly painless as I
recall.   However, they play games with "owner" transfer requiring some
ridiculous paper forms that had different requirements so you didn't
know which to use.   We bypassed that by getting simply having the
acquiree authorize the transfer.

We use Network Solutions but that wasn't a decision I made.   My only
gripe about them is they send you notifications to renew all your
domains about 6 months before 1 of them expires so it seems a bit much
to me.

Transferring domains has rules setup by ICANN.   The general process is:
1)  Request the current registrar give you an authorization code to
transfer the domain.
2)  Request the domain transfer at the new registrar.  Giving them the
authorization code.
3)  Be sure all email from old and new registrar is going to a mail box
you have access to (or someone you can talk to has access to) and read
all emails received from either registrar.   Most simply tell you what
is happening and to respond only if you DON'T want it to happen but some
require you to respond to show you are in fact authorizing the transfer.