[ale] laptop diagnostics

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Thu Jan 20 14:02:47 EST 2011

Dell has explicit instructions for the D630 saying one should
periodically do the depletion/decharging.   In fact I suspect the
battery finally went kaput because I hadn't done that ever (for more
than a year or so) until the battery started acting up a few months
back.  Doing it then got it going again for a few months.

When it finally died there was no warning - just saw the battery light
flashing amber on powering it up one day and from that point it was
clear it was dead.  Leaving it to decharge wouldn't work because as soon
as I removed the brick it powered off the laptop.  Leaving it charging
for hours didn't help either with the laptop powered up or powered down.