[ale] OT -- Questions about how to get funds for open source

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 23:09:20 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM, John Pilman <jcpilman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chuck
> I don't believe it is fair to characterize this as a hobby just because you
> choose to do it without payment.  Fortunately, there are folks, like
> yourself, who provide service and expertise without requiring payment.  When
> it comes to travel expense, that seems to be asking a lot.  I think the
> answer is that some people do have jobs that pay their travel for volunteer
> work.  I know some of them, but I have not had a job like that.  Good luck
> with your work, paid, volunteer, as hobby or even for therapy.
>
> ...John

I amnot characterizing anything, I was trying to understand how a lot
of open source project do it. I love volunteering for openSUSE, I have
gain a lot of experience. Again, I only asked because I don't know a
lot about open source project and how they work. As Greg stated we are
working to becoming a foundation.

Plus, I wasn't sure if there were grants or program I could apply too.

I love working openSUSE and open source.

If I could find extra I could do from that house, I use that money for
my travel.

Jim, last when I when to Austin. I slept in th airport. Didn't mind.

My major problem, is my wife. My heart is to it and if I didn't have a
family I won't be worried.

By the way, I use to  help out at Dragoncon back in the day when Game
Masters got in free for running games.

Thanks Guys.

Chuck
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member