[ale] Best way to get dual display working (take 2k)

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 09:56:42 EST 2011

On 01/06/2011 06:53 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 01/06/2011 12:35 AM, Greg Clifton wrote:
>> I always prefer to grab a new video card out of the anti-static bag by
>> the mounting bracket which is attached to the ground plane of the board
>> and then touch the power supply in the computer with my other hand
>> (while still holding the graphics card) to equalize the charge. Of
>> course, it should go without saying that you should unplug the power
>> cord to your power supply before you install the new card, but I have
>> been known to forget about the 5V standby power.
> I would go one step further&  grab the anti-static bag THEN touch the
> power supply, THEN open the bag&  grab the card by the bracket.
> My mother just called me yesterday ( Hartford,CT). She was trying to add
> her printer to her new laptop. She said it went POP and the screen went
> blank. First I asked if she had it plugged into an UPS. After a small
> exchange of questions, finally I got the answer YES. I also asked about
> humidity&  static. She said it WAS staticy, as she had not turned on her
> humidifier yet. I told her how sensitive electronics are, and how she
> should ground herself ( discharge) any static before touching the laptop
> case, otherwise BAD THINGS HAPPEN.... Anyway, turns out the battery was
> bad, she got a new one, and it is working again. I need to remind her to
> fire up the humidifier! Even down here in GA, my humidifier pumps out
> about 3-4 gallons per day, I've got to fill those 1.2 gallon tanks 2-3
> times every day!
I always use anti-static bags, I have 2 anti-static strapes, which I
replace every 12 - 18 months, as well as an antistatic fold up mat with
pockets for temporarily storing cards and other static sensitive
devices. All of this gets connected to the ground prong on the AC
outlet. I have ohmed out ground to ground between outlets, but I haven't
checked from ground to ground source. In both apartments that I lived in
I was able to check from ground plug in outlet to a metal water pipe,
but here in the house I haven't been able to as there aren't any outlets
close enough to a pipe to do that. I realize that that is not 100%
conclusive but I can't afford an electrician to come in and certify it
with better equipment than just an OHM meter.