[ale] Best way to get dual display working (take 2k)

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Jan 6 06:53:13 EST 2011

On 01/06/2011 12:35 AM, Greg Clifton wrote:
> I always prefer to grab a new video card out of the anti-static bag by
> the mounting bracket which is attached to the ground plane of the board
> and then touch the power supply in the computer with my other hand
> (while still holding the graphics card) to equalize the charge. Of
> course, it should go without saying that you should unplug the power
> cord to your power supply before you install the new card, but I have
> been known to forget about the 5V standby power.

I would go one step further & grab the anti-static bag THEN touch the
power supply, THEN open the bag & grab the card by the bracket.
My mother just called me yesterday ( Hartford,CT). She was trying to add
her printer to her new laptop. She said it went POP and the screen went
blank. First I asked if she had it plugged into an UPS. After a small
exchange of questions, finally I got the answer YES. I also asked about
humidity & static. She said it WAS staticy, as she had not turned on her
humidifier yet. I told her how sensitive electronics are, and how she
should ground herself ( discharge) any static before touching the laptop
case, otherwise BAD THINGS HAPPEN.... Anyway, turns out the battery was
bad, she got a new one, and it is working again. I need to remind her to
fire up the humidifier! Even down here in GA, my humidifier pumps out
about 3-4 gallons per day, I've got to fill those 1.2 gallon tanks 2-3
times every day!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800