[ale] Seeking C++ programmers group

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Jan 5 18:39:33 EST 2011

Michael,

Sorry to be so long in replying to this.  I think I've been doing
nothing but email for 2 days.  I'm not sure I'm ready to lead a group,
but thanks for the offer and I'll certainly keep in mind.  I have some
yahoo groups on alternate energy that I never have time to moderate.  I
actually don't have a Google account at this moment because I don't want
them tracking me around.  Also, I have Noscript set not to trust the
Google domain because of the possibility of malicious user generated
content in the search listings.  I might consider joining your Google
group however, if I can sort those issues out.

Richard Faulkner responded to my original message and we're probably
going to meet this Saturday around the Perimeter Mall area at a
bookstore to chat and discuss a game plan for learning C++.  Anyone else
who's interested contact me and I'll give you the location.  This is
very informal, and we haven't rented a room or anything.  We'll just be
using the chairs and wifi that are there.

For whomever is interested, here are the books I've selected to start
learning with, tentatively in the order of use:

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Prentice-Source-Software-Development/dp/0132354160/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294269639&sr=8-1
C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4 (2nd Edition) (Prentice Hall Open Source
Software Development Series) [Hardcover]

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Design-Patterns-Qt/dp/0131879057/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294269961&sr=1-1
An Introduction to Design Patterns in C++ with Qt 4 [Paperback]

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Qt-Programming-Creating-Development/dp/0321635906/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b
Advanced Qt Programming: Creating Great Software with C++ and Qt 4
(Prentice Hall Open Source Software Development Series) [Hardcover]

http://www.amazon.com/C-Programmers-Paul-J-Deitel/dp/0137001304/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294270227&sr=1-1
C+ + for Programmers [Paperback]

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Principles-Practice-Using-C/dp/0321543726/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294270340&sr=1-1
Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ [Paperback]

I have some various others I've bought from thrift stores and on the
used books section of Amazon, Borders, Barnes and Noble, etc.  The last
C++ standard was ratified in 1998 as far as I know, so older books still
have value.

None of these are cheap.  But, if you join the Barnes and Noble and
Borders member club for $ 25 / year, they send 25 % - 40 % off coupons
periodically.  Also, Amazon always beats the list price and gives free
shipping over $ 25.

Sincerely,

Ron