[ale] Ubuntu and the price of Unity

Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Tue Jan 4 01:04:23 EST 2011

There is no requirement that code be released under an "open" or "free" license.

Canonical Contributor Agreement:

``6. Canonical will ordinarily make the Assigned Contributions
available to the public under a "Free Software Licence", according to
the definition of that term published by the Free Software Foundation
from time to time. Canonical may also, in its discretion, make the
Assigned Contributions available to the public under other license
terms.``

http://www.canonical.com/system/files/Canonical%20Contributor%20Agreement%2C%20ver%202.5.pdf
(from http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/CopyrightAssignment)

Nothing there to stop Canonical (or whoever owns/controls it in the
future) from closing up all the repositories and releasing binary-only
versions under whatever restrictive license terms. Very unlikely, but
still non-zero. That agreement says it's only a free project TODAY.

-Don