[ale] Ubuntu and the price of Unity

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 00:15:27 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 11:49 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>wrote:

> Let me sum that article up simply: the GNOME project doesn't like
> Canonical's Unity project because it might be more popular than their
> in-development "Shell" project.

That's not what I read. GNOME is wary because Cannonical  requires/uses a
copyright/license scheme that signs away copyright to Cannonical and allows
for closed-source proprietary code. That is very bad from a GNOME
perspective as they got started because of QT license issues with the
framework for KDE.

> Well, who cares? Ubuntu isn't GNOME just like it isn't Debian. They
> can do whatever the hell they please as long as it doesn't upset their
> users. If the GNOME developers don't like it, they can use a different
> distribution.
>
> On Monday, January 3, 2011, Watson, Keith <krwatson at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> > Ubuntu and the price of Unity
> >
> http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Ubuntu-and-the-price-of-Unity-1156110.html
> >
> > http://preview.tinyurl.com/23yaw8n
> >
> > keith
>
> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.