[ale] [OT] laptop hinge broke! day going downhill!

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Feb 25 10:03:19 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 09:53 -0500, Ron Frazier wrote:
> I have owned 3 laptops, and I don't abuse them.  Every one has broken
> in some way.

I *hate* laptops for that reason.  At least they are better than they
used to be; today they more-or-less use standard parts for both primary
and secondary storage, which is great.  It used to be that you'd have to
get memory and drives for a laptop family, usually from the vendor
itself, or from people that would make things that were compatible.

Of course, there are still all the problems that are associated with
prefab desktop computers.  You typically can only get motherboard
replacements from the laptop's manufacturer, and the same goes for most
case components and so forth.  It's *very* annoying.

If they'd do for laptop form factors what was done for desktops, and
standardize the cases and the space available inside the buggers, life
would be so much easier.

	--- Mike