[ale] OT: gmail question

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 09:08:40 EST 2011

So how long have you been using Gmail? I have 9,335 emails in my
archive as of this writing. From "What is 'All Mail'?"[1]:

"All Mail is your archive, a storage place for all the mail you've
ever sent or received, but have not deleted."

The point of Gmail is that you shouldn't ever have to worry about
losing an email. Any email you have received, or sent, should be a
quick search away. But _no one_ wants all of those message in their
"inbox" at all times. So emails get archived. This includes "deleting"
messages via IMAP with some third party client[2]:

"If you delete a message from your inbox or one of your custom folders
in your IMAP client, it will still appear in [Gmail]/All Mail...If you
delete a message from [Gmail]/Spam or [Gmail]/Trash, it will be
deleted permanently."

I only ever use the web client, so I can't speak to using something
like Thunderbird. But I just emptied the 517 emails in my "spam
folder" and my "All Mail" count was not affected. Why? Probably
because "spam" doesn't get counted in the archive.

I don't really see the problem here, though. I have 7.6GB of email
storage. I am using 521MB of that.

[1] -- http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6581
[2] -- http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78755

--