[ale] OT: gmail question

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Feb 23 08:37:44 EST 2011

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Geoffrey Myers
> <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>> Paul Cartwright wrote:

>>> in thunderbird, with a gmail IMAP folder, I also have all-mail, and get
>>> what looks like duplicate messages for everything. They are filtered
>>> into folders yet stay in all-mail..
>> That's what I see and I want to get rid of.  I've only got 48 messages
>> in the Inbox, that's all I want.
>
>>From the gui, open your trash folder and click empty trash.
>
> Otherwise I think deleted emails hang for 30 days or so.
>
> Paul I assume the same is true via imap.  Just subscribe to the trash
> folder and delete everything.  I've never tried that.

I've deleted both the contents of the spam folder and trash, yet I still
see 2487 messages in the 'all mail' folder of thunderbird.  I've logged
into gmail and see the same there.  I just now verified from the gmail
web interface that the trash is empty and spam is empty, yet I still see
the 2000+ messages in 'all mail.'