[ale] ALE forum ?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Feb 22 14:19:15 EST 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Boris Borisov wrote:

> No offense to anybody but why there is no forum for ALE group created yet? For me personally will be the easy way to follow the threads. I'm kind of tired trying to read email with multitude replies.

Web forums have some advantages, but mostly suck.
At Chugalug, we are trying to merge the two:

http://www.chugalug.org/widget/564/Cost%20of%20Chugalug

Is a good example. Like Ale, we are running the most excellent MailMan.
the web interface attempts to clean up badly formatted e-mails (gmail
users are currently a large offender..) such as not stripping quotes, bad
HTML, etc.. and merging them into a long single page thread (unlike the
typical next/previous post button model).

It's been very useful for searching for things, and bringing new
people to the LUG. Keeps the website "fresh" and gives an indication
of what goes on in the LUG. It attempts to autodetect some words in the
posts and categorize them.

But to post.. you have to join and post to the mailing list, it is the
only way to interact with the list and the website for the average person.

The website has a small PHP script that reads the list via POP
and adds new messages.  Been working well so far.

http://www.chugalug.org/widget/members

Is autogenerated from posts..

--Mike--