[ale] Recording & Distributing ALE meetings (was Re: ALE CENTRAL MTG. for 7:30pm on Thursday, February 17, 2011 CE (reprise))

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Feb 16 22:18:15 EST 2011

Aaron,

I see. I had a couple of additional thoughts. I'm not a video expert,
and I don't know how relevant this is to your situation. I seem to
remember reading somewhere that MPEG2 takes less CPU horsepower to
compress and decompress than something like h.264 / mp4. That might be a
better choice for production but I think the files are bigger. If you
have a fast enough pc, you might be able to compress the video stream in
real time. That may make harder to edit. Another option might be to use
a stand alone DVD recorder, which has a built in MPEG2 encoder. Then,
you have an instant MPEG2 files you can use. The disadvantage is that
most DVD recorders don't have VGA inputs.

Also, I remember a time when I installed two KVM switches ganged
together between two monitors, two keyboards, and two mice. I had it set
up so I could control my pc from my keyboard, mouse, and monitor and my
wife could control my pc from her keyboard, mouse, and monitor. The
reason I mention it, is that I had to use a VGA splitter cable, from
Fry's, to send the video to both KVM's. You can do this with analog
signals, but not with digital signals without a digital repeater. If you
drive two monitors at once, the brightness may be reduced a bit, but you
can fix that with a small distribution amp, or sometimes just turn up
the monitor settings.

What this might have to do with your problem, is that you could attach
the video splitter cable to the laptop of the presenter. Then, connect
one leg to the projector, and the other leg to whatever capture device
you want to use to record the slides. This would not require any special
software on the presenter's computer.

How did you capture the slides for Mike Warfield's IPv6 presentation?

Again, don't know how relevant it is. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Ron