[ale] PC specs-AMD chipset

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Feb 11 22:11:04 EST 2011

This is a really nice motherboard.
MSI 890FXA-GD70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274
I couldn't find it on MSI's website at this moment.  I don't know why.
I'm running an older version of it (790FX) and I like it.  It also has a
neat LED display which displays CPU temperature when not doing POST.  I
don't know if I can run all the advanced specialized chips the board has
with Linux, but the basics are certainly fine.
I really like Corsair system components, although there are many other
good brands.
4 - 8 GB of memory and a Corsair TX750W power supply would keep you
humming nicely with room to grow.  I THINK advanced video cards can draw
over 150 W.  This can be a big power problem, especially if you gang
them together.

Ron

On 02/11/2011 12:33 PM, Greg Clifton wrote:
> Times past, AMD was seriously kicking Intel butt in the performance
> arena owing to their integrated memory controller, but since Intel
> Nehalem, i3, i5, i7 has basically copied the AMD integrated memory
> controller, the features and performance are more nearly the same
> between Intel & AMD now.
>
> Yes, definitely get good components, including memory AND power
> supply. This is a 125W CPU (average maximum as AMD calculates it) and
> the video card will probably draw ~ 65-75W (didn't check the specs) so
> I wouldn't recommend trying to run it on some cheapie 250W supply.
>
> This links to the AMD spec page:
> http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=713
> They also provide a link to a recommended motherboard and the only one
> is a Biostar 890FX chipset, but I'm sure an ASUS or ASrock or Foxconn
> will work just fine.
>
> Regards,
> GC
>

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com
> <mailto:ale at pcartwright.com>> wrote:
>
>     I am thinking about getting a new desktop.. does anyone know much
>     about
>     the AMD chip:
>     AMD Phenom^(TM) II X6 1075T + ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB
>
>     any better/worse than Intel I5 ( I3...whatever..) I've never run
>     an AMD chip
>
>     --
>     Paul Cartwright

Ron Frazier