[ale] PC specs-AMD chipset

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 12:33:33 EST 2011

Times past, AMD was seriously kicking Intel butt in the performance arena
owing to their integrated memory controller, but since Intel Nehalem, i3,
i5, i7 has basically copied the AMD integrated memory controller, the
features and performance are more nearly the same between Intel & AMD now.

Yes, definitely get good components, including memory AND power supply. This
is a 125W CPU (average maximum as AMD calculates it) and the video card will
probably draw ~ 65-75W (didn't check the specs) so I wouldn't recommend
trying to run it on some cheapie 250W supply.

This links to the AMD spec page:
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=713
They also provide a link to a recommended motherboard and the only one is a
Biostar 890FX chipset, but I'm sure an ASUS or ASrock or Foxconn will work
just fine.

Regards,
GC