[ale] Kind words for Windows? - was The latest from Gigabyte

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Feb 8 15:49:10 EST 2011

Michael T.,

I'll address other parts of your message later.  Regarding this issue,
you may wish to try Eudora Open Source Edition.  (
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE )  I used the Classic edition (in
Windows) for years and I liked it very much.  I'm now using Eudora OSE
on all my Windows and Linux machines and like it too.  The OSE edition
is based on the Thunderbird codebase.  Paul found out that if you
install it on a system with Thunderbird, it will step on the Thunderbird
settings.  I found out that it uses the .thunderbird directory under
your home directory to store settings and mail.  This is version 1.0 of
the OSE edition, so I cannot say anything about it's long term
reliability or development.  I've been using it consistently for a
couple of weeks, and I like it.  It has some nice features for
highlighting and and prioritizing messages.  I'm not using it for IMAP,
as I discovered a few bugs in the IMAP processing as detailed in other
posts.  The old Eudora Classic used to get very unhappy if a message
folder accumulated over 30,000 messages.  I'd then have to move some to
another folder and it was happy again.  I have no idea if this is
relevant to this edition.  I have not observed a memory bug like the one
you described.

Sincerely,

Ron